Elder Laahche

Elder Laahche
Canada Vanvouver Mission 2010 - 2012

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Week 6 in Langley BC

Hi Mom, Dad, Cody, Colton and Kelsey!

So this week has been a rather slow but quick week at the same time it was weird. We had a very succesful week. It's been starting to rain alot more too but it's not bothering me at all! It's actually pretty nice. We found a new investigator this week! His name is Gaviel, but it's weird because you pronounce his name like Gathiel. He and his family just moved from Mexico about 3 years ago and they've lived here in Langely for about a year. But aparently he lived in Montreal for a year too! So he can speak french english a spanish, so that's good for him. He is such a great guy though he reminds me alot of Michael because he has that deisre to know about the church. It was funny how we met him because we were supposed to be going to visit a less active that I guess used to live in that house, but then Gaviel opened the door. So me and Elder May were pretty confused bu the situation so we just introduced ourselves as missionaries and that was on monday and we met with him this past Friday. We taught him mostly about Jospeh Smith's first vision and the Book of Mormon.

 Alot of people that we tract into never heard that Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and when we tell them about they always want to know more of who he was and what he did. That's exaclty the kind of people that we want to find! Gaviel was just like that he wanted to know what was the difference between his religion, he's catholic, and ours. We told him that there is a living prophet on the earth and that we can know if we read and pray about the Book of Mormon. He was really excited and I was excited too, I really hope that we can continue to meet with him and teach him, he's an awesome guy. I always feel the spirit so strong whenever we read Joseph's quote of what he saw when Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to him.

 Later this week we're going to be having Zone conference so pretty much all of the missionaires in the Vancouver Mainland area are going to come meet together and there is going to be a member of the seventy there! I'm really excited because I'm going to be able to see all but one of the missionaries who I went to the MTC with. So it will be nice to be able to see them again. Also for this we were asked to write a 3-5 minute talk on how to become a more effective missionary. So I've been thinking about that alot, it's hard for me because I really haven't been out too long. I was thinking for me especially would be to think more about uplifting music than thinking about the music that I listened to at home all the time. That's probably been the hardest thing for me.
 
 On Saturday our ward had a corn roast and it was awesome! This less active family came who we invited earlier in the week. They're the Ezaki's and they're Japanese, so they have 3 kids. They're really nice so it was great that they came and alot of the member were happy to see them too!

 On Saturday night we also met a new potential investigator, her name is Jen and it was cool how we met her because we had just finished one of our appointments in the area and it was later at night so I wanted to get home and go to sleep because I was tired. Elder May said we should talk to this last lady that we saw walking down the street, so I said ok and we went and talked to her. We asked her if she was very religous and she said that she believes in God but she feels that there is something that is missing from her religion, I think she was protestant. So we told her about her message and now we're going to be going to visit her sometime this week. But it's just amazing how when we least expect it God puts people who are prepared to hear the gospel in out path. Also that people are really searching. I'm learning so much on my mission it's great, I actually really like reading the Book of Mormon, the stories are amazing and there is so many lessons that we all can learn from it. So it's really great that you guys have set a goal to read it while I'm gone. I know that you will be blessed as you read diligently.

 I'm so excited for Kelsey that she's starting Karate that's really cool I know that she will do fantastically well! How is Colton liking his new Halo game? It's weird being on a mission because I don't really hear much about news or what's going on in the world anymore, which is pretty nice because it helps me to stayed focused. How is Cody liking playing hockey again, even though the team isn't fantastic? I wish I could be there to play too! That would actually be so fun.

 To answer your questions I don't really need anything in terms of stuff to cook with right now, but I might later on. And we barely have time to cook food, we're lucky if we get an hour for supper. But we don't have a crock pot I wish we did because that would make things alot easier, but we'll manage. I usually make the fish that dad buys alot because I got this huge bag of it at Costco, and usually green beans and corn to go along with that and whatever else I'm feeling. But here we don't get that many DA's because the mission leader here has asked that if you invite the missionaries over to invite a less active member of an investigator to the DA too. So yeah alot of people aren't inviting people to supper and because of that we can't go eat at people's homes. I didn't get a chance to ask my mission president about the guitar but I don't think I will be allowed one. I'll ask him when I see him on Wednesday though.

Love You, have a good week!
Elder Lahache

No comments:

Post a Comment